Blogging Marathon was a great and novel initiative started by the fantastic Srivalli and it is now in its 14th Edition…
Pav Bhaji is one of my personal all time favorite dish since I was a kid. And it goes without saying that till date it remains my favorite. It is a dish adored by young and old.
My father who I always say is the best cook in the family makes the Pav Bhaji in the world.
I remember in my school days whenever my birthday was around the corner, all my friends would request me to ask Baba to make Pav Bhaji on my birthday and it soon became a stand feature.
I and my sister would refuse to eat Pav Bhaji in any restaurant as we would always end up comparing it with my Baba’s home cooked Pav Bhaji which would win the competition hands down.
The best part of my Baba’s cooking was and still is that he doesn’t measure and quantify the ingredients. It is all the measurement as per eyes (expert cooks do that I am told)
But I have tried to quantify the same and hope to get similiar result.
Potatoes – 1/2 kg
Onions – 1/2 kg
Tomatoes – 1/2 kg
Green Peas – 200 gms
Cauliflower – 1/2 kg
Green Capsicum – 1/4 kg
Ginger – 1 1/2 inch
Garlic – 12 cloves
Oil – 2 tablespoon
Salt – As per taste
Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Amchur Powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Pav (ladi pav) – 12
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
Onions – 2 (for garnishing bhaji)
Lemon – 2
1) Pressure cook potatoes and cauliflower & green peas separately for 3 whistles.
2) After potatoes are pressure cooked, peel the skin and grate them or mash them.
3) Finely chopped boiled cauliflower.
4) Mash the peas finely.
5) Finely chop onions, green capsicum and tomatoes.
6) Grind ginger and garlic in a mixer.
7) Heat oil in heavy bottom vessel (kadhai) and after the oil is heated add chopped onions.
8) When onions turn translucent add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder and pav bhaji masala and stir continuously.
9) Add green capsicum and continue stirring.
10) Add tomatoes and stir till they become soft.
11) Add mashed potatoes, cauliflower and peas and continue stirring.
12) Add salt and butter.
13) Add water as per required consistency and let it cook on medium flame.
14) Cover with lid.
15) Stir at regular intervals.
16) Slice pav horizontally and heat them on gridle / tava with butter.
17) Garnish the bhaji with coriander leaves and chopped onions and serve pav bhaji with lemon wedges.
As it is one of my personal favorite dish as a kid………Sending this to Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight, guest hosted by me themed on Easy to Make Snacks under30 mins……
Do check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing Blogging Marathon#14……..